The most interesting concept of this week is the Webquest. I have had students use the Internet for research before but I have not pushed them to take things to another level through encouraging them to synthesize and apply that new knowledge into a specific problem solving project. It took a while and several readings of the various materials to get a real grasp on the unique nature of this project as well as the possible benefits to our students of this type of active inquiry.
The "Top 5" format of the discussion prompt this time was an interesting twist on the format. It was a good way to generate thought not only on what stood out, but also as to why it mattered. Reading some of the lists compiled by other students caused me to rethink some of the things I had left out. This type of interaction has also proven valuable through the PLNs where others have helped make me aware of resources that I never would have been able to uncover on my own.
It is also interesting how the content from other courses we have taken previously in this program is starting to cycle back around into these discussions. For example, we took a full course in Instructional Design last fall which was heavy in the process of backwards design. This topic came up again in this week's reading section with a similar rationale and explanation. In addition, issues related to assessment are starting to loop back to the Student Assessment class of last summer. I suppose it is a good thing that the various pieces are starting to come together for me since I am almost 2/3 of the way through the program.
No comments:
Post a Comment